TRUST & WEALTH MANAGEMENT SERVICES COUNSEL
- A law degree (J.D.) and 7+ years of relevant work experience in providing counsel on trust, estate, and tax matters for individual clients.
- Prior work experience in any of the following settings: law firm, accounting firm, in-house counsel, tax or trust officer experience within a wealth management firm, trust company, or the trust department of a bank.
- Substantial experience with and command over trust, estate, and tax laws and regulations, particularly those that apply to the fiduciary oversight and management of a wide range of trust and trustee services offered in the wealth management industry.
- Prior trust and estate administration experience, including working closely with securities custodians, outside attorneys, accountants, auditors, regulators and beneficiaries with regards to trust activities and transactions, trustee decision-making as well as the facilitation of tax work performed for trusts, and management of estate distribution process.
- Willingness to grow knowledge in all areas related to financial planning, including interest in obtaining CFP designation.
- Excellent interpersonal as well as written and oral communications skills. The ability to communicate complex concepts to audiences of varying degrees of sophistication is needed.
- Must exhibit and maintain a mature, collaborative, and professional demeanor in the workplace. Must be willing to do whatever is needed to enhance the work quality and success of the Company.
In addition to the requirements above, prior work experience and qualifications in the following areas are preferred:
- Prior management experience.
- Command over areas of wealth management counsel, such as financial planning, all insurances, estate and tax planning, Medicare, Social Security, wealth transfer planning, etc.
- CTFA designation or interest in obtaining this designation.
- Familiarity with the application of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 (IAA) as it relates to trust and trustee activities.
- Prior experience with trust accounting and probate administration.
Trust and Estate Department Leadership (70%)
- Provide comprehensive counsel and oversight on a variety of trust, estate, and tax matters.
- Review, counsel and approval of all trust and trustee activities and transactions.
- Work in close conjunction with other R.M. Davis employees relative to all functions and transactions that involve trusts and estates in which R.M. Davis and/or its officers serve as Trustee, Trust Administrator and/or Portfolio Manager.
- Collaboration with external parties (including custodians, broker-dealers, co-trustees, attorneys, accountants, auditors, real estate professionals, financial institutions, and state/federal government offices) to facilitate transactions as well as oversight of third party services provided to trusts, trust beneficiaries, and client families.
- Oversight and coordination of all tax work for the trusts administered by R.M. Davis.
- Oversight of the end-to-end processing of the discretionary distribution process for all trusts, and participation on the Trust Oversight Committee.
- Provide thoughtful leadership on the evolution of new product and service developments.
- Demonstrate confidence and command in meetings and calls with clients as needed in the facilitation of all trust and trustee services.
- Serve as a resource for the General Counsel and Director of Wealth Management on legal issues which implicate trust, estate, and tax laws and regulations.
Wealth Management Counseling (30%)
- Serve as a reliable resource for clients and officers of the company on matters involving financial planning, health insurance, disability insurance, LTC, Medicare and supplemental plan assessments, Social Security, tax and estate planning, taxation of IRAs, and annuities.
- Exercise a high level of resourcefulness and composure in approaching and resolving an unpredictable and evolving set of novel and unique challenges existing for clients who first turn to R.M. Davis for "the business of life."
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to the Vice President/General Counsel and/or Director of Wealth Management June 2019
Competitive salary and bonus · 401k plan with employer contributions · 100% Company paid employee health insurance · Paid time off · Tuition reimbursement · Company paid, covered parking · Short and long-term disability insurance · Professional downtown office setting · Collaborative work culture
If the above information matches your interests, please send a cover letter and resume to:
R.M. Davis, Inc.
Attn: Denise Vigneault
24 City Center
Portland, ME 04101