- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field. A post-graduate degree would also be beneficial for career advancement opportunities.
- A CPA or CMA credential and 7+ years of prior work experience in a CPA/CMA capacity is strongly preferred.
- An extensive working knowledge and understanding of accounting and finance principles. Working knowledge of the many facets of organizational operations and management, including budget preparation, payroll/benefits functions, facility and technology management, and compliance matters is preferred.
- Excellent financial, analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills. A keen eye for detail and desire to probe further into data and operations.
- Ability to quickly master all aspects of QuickBooks business accounting software, ADP Workforce Now payroll software, and the Microsoft Office Suite. Advanced Excel skills are required.
- 3+ years of prior management/supervisory experience is preferred.
- Must project a professional image, earn the confidence of others, and practice good judgment and leadership skills. Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- The ability to independently manage tight time constraints and juggle multiple and competing priorities.
Finance/Accounting Functions, Reporting, and Projects (70%) - The Finance Manager assumes a key/leadership role in accomplishing the following work on an on-going basis while ensuring its accuracy:
The Finance Manager performs or oversees all day-to-day accounting and payroll matters for the Company, including the bi-weekly payroll processing, facilitation of the semi-annual fee billing process (including fee checks and collections), all accounting related reconciliations (i.e. book & tax depreciation schedules), accounts payable and receivable, quarterly and annual accounting close processes (cash & accrual), cash flow projections, fixed asset accounting/tagging/tracking, financial audit preparation, New/Lost reports, tax form data gathering/communications, certain tax filings/recordkeeping, cash management, and accurate maintenance of the Company’s financial management software. He/she takes a leadership role in each of these areas to ensure that the Company’s needs are met and all responsibilities are fulfilled in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and tax laws.
The Finance Manager also leads and significantly contributes to year-end financial calculations and processes and takes the lead with the annual budget preparation work, multi-year financial planning, fee increase projections, fee and financial audits, and creates and maintains numerous financial related spreadsheets and any other analyses needed or desired by the Company.
This position prepares or oversees the annual property/liability insurance applications process. He/she also provides support and assistance in the following other areas: quarterly payroll reports (including resolving payroll recon issues), annual payroll withholding reconciliation, and oversight and review of the annual operating expense reconciliation. This position also takes a leadership role in the annual implementation of many budgetary approved projects/initiatives.
This position assists the CFO with allocating and distributing the financial resources of the company. He/she also regularly communicates with and supports the executive management team by providing analyses, offering insights, guidance and financial advice that will allow them to make informed business decisions for the company. This position is continuously searching for ways to streamline and make improvements to our current financial processes.
Supervision, Training and Other Functions (30%) - The Finance Manager is responsible for supervising, leading and evaluating the performance of the Finance Administrator position. The Finance Manager oversees and provides back-up support for his/her work, acts as the point person for all of their inquiries and questions, approves time off requests and bi-weekly timesheets, identifies and develops relevant skill-building and training opportunities, and serves as a positive mentor and role model for the Finance Administrator position.
The Finance Manager, as a senior level employee, is responsible for staff leadership and project management in areas that benefit the Company as a whole and not just the finance area. He/she serves as a role model and mentor to less knowledgeable and experienced staff. This leadership role may entail a variety of responsibilities and tasks including training and assisting employees so that they become technically competent or more comfortable in their positions as well as working to enhance his/her own skills. This position may also serve on or chair committees responsible for improving the client service and/or the general operations of the company.
The Finance Manager must ensure that all pertinent compliance related documentation is created and/or retained per SEC standards for his/her areas of responsibility (e.g. Required Books and Records).
This position works closely with and assists the Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer in a wide range of tasks and projects as needed to enhance the work quality and success of the Company and the finance department. A high level of capability, responsibility, and collaboration in all areas is needed. The Finance Manager is also responsible for working with the COO/CFO to help oversee the firm’s third party technology provider, Systems Engineering, and ensure the technology needs of the firm are met.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to the Vice President – Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer July 2020
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to:
R. M. Davis
Attn: Denise Vigneault
24 City Center
Portland, ME 04101